Saturday, August 27, 2011

Port Jackson shark project update #1

The project is looking great so far!

After a week or two of bad visibility I was finally able to get out into the water again to take some images. Pulling on the neoprene (my relatively new Neptune Dry Ice wetsuit!) is always a good feeling. Couple that with the amazing feeling of seeing 15+ Port Jackson sharks each dive on my last three research dives - yeah, it's good.

So the data gathering stage of my project is sailing along pretty smoothly at the moment. I haven't set myself a benchmark or limit on how many photographs I am looking to acquire (yet). I'm sure as the project develops I will get overwhelmed by shark images! Especially when every shot comprises the same orientation and subject matter (see below)!


Hopefully I'll be able to schedule a regular dive on Friday afternoons after uni has finished to increase my dataset of images. Finding a dive buddy for the Friday dives looks promising, with some of my uni mates becoming certified divers.

I'm really enjoying this project and depending on the results I may look at taking it further...

Check out http://nudibank.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-port-jackson-shark-project.html to read what this project is about.

Stay tuned for more information and results!

Peace,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment